Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Quick Update

We are all moved in! I turned in the keys to our apartment yesterday and boy did it feel good.
I went over to the apartment yesterday afternoon to clean. There were also some odds and ends that were left behind and I had to load them into the car. Those little odds and ends ended up being 3 or 4 huge armfuls to the car plus my wedding dress- and 2 trips to the trash. Ugh! It sure sucked hauling all of those things to the car in the pouring rain. I was soaking wet by the time I got home! I worked hard cleaning for an hour and a half and managed to vacuum the entire place, scrub the stove and all of the burners and the fridge/freezer and floors! I also wiped down the bathroom.
In reality, how messy can 2 people really be? It wasn't that bad. I didn't clean the oven, I wasn't prepared to tackle that so we'll probably get billed $20 bucks or something. Oh well.

The progress on the new place is coming along... I'm proud to report that the kitchen is thisclose to being complete. It's almost completely organized! It's got so much storage, I'm still amazed to have a place for everything. I'm also pleased with how our kitchen table fits, I was worried it wasn't going to work with the layout of the room. The living room is functional and just needs things to be hung on the walls. I can't wait to get out my spring decorations and spruce up the mantel. HA I have a mantel!
(Don't worry I'll post pics soon.)
I've been organizing my closet and now I just need to purge some clothes (that will be a post of it's own along with my shoe addiction.) I've got some sorting to do over the next few weeks.
We got our satellite set up yesterday and the house doesn't feel lonely anymore. It was way too quiet those first few days while hubby was working. 

Today I had a very successful shopping day! We had a few giftcards we'd been saving from family and friends to Target, TJ Maxx and Bed Bath & Beyond. 
YAY! Since we have 2.5 bathrooms now we needed some new things. A while back I spotted a shower curtain that I really liked at Target but I wasn't going to spend $30 bucks on it. Just so happens that  2 weeks ago while I was browing Target I spotted that same shower curtain on clearance for $7 dollars. WHAT?! It guess it was meant to be :) That same day I also found a soap dispenser and matching garbage can at TJ Maxx and they seemed to coordinate well with the curtain without being matchy matchy. Those few items created the vision for our new main bathroom. Today the items on my list included shower curtain rings since the ones we were using match the shower curtain that is going in our second bathroom downstairs. A new liner, bathmats, bath towels, hand towels, washcloths and a few small storage containers to organize bathroom items and pantry items. 
I was on a mission. Armed with my gift cards and the company of a good friend we started at Target where I made the first purchase of the day- shower curtain liner and a set of curtain rings. (and a few packs of scrapbook paper from the dollar spot- I just can't help myself, I'm addicted! 
Next up- TJ Maxx where I found some different curtain rings that I liked better! I also exchanged a pair of sunglasses since they had a big scratch on them- boo. Not part of my list but yay for them letting me exchange them for an equally cute pair :) 
I big fat heart TJ Maxx. 
I also spied a cute spring wreath and was thisclose to purchasing that too but I had strict orders from hubby not to buy anything we don't need which included clothing or shoes of any kind and decorations. Rats. Hubby's words rang in my head and I'm glad I listened. We really don't need another wreath. I made a cute spring wreath last year! (I'll post about spring decorations soon too)  Anyway, 2 stores down and I'd barely made a dent in my list. After a yummy lunch at Sweet Tomatoes my friend and I parted ways and I was on my own to complete my tasks. I headed straight to Bed Bath & Beyond, you have to have tunnel vision in that store. I swear if you don't know what you're going for you will get lost in the "beyond" and before you know it 2 hours have flown by. Don't worry I kept my focus, I found some really great towels (bath sheets actually) They are GINORMOUS and really soft. Best thing about them is they were on sale so I got a killer deal and picked up the last 3 in stock, plus 4 matching hand towels in the charcoal grey color I had imagined. I was getting closer to accomplishing my goal. My next stop was HomeGoods which is attached to TJ Maxx in Brickyard. I still needed bath mats and knew I had seen some a few weeks before in a nice yellowy gold color that I thought would be a fun accent color to our grey and white bathroom. I was in luck, they still had them!  They also had bath towels in the exact same color at a great price. I picked up 3 more large bath towels and 3 more hand towels and ended up finding 3 washcloths in the exact same grey as the other towels. Seriously, this was my lucky day. I hope the bathroom gets hubby's approval! Now it just needs some artwork which I plan to remedy soon...

2 comments:

Amber said...

SCORE!!! I hope that we get invited over to see the new place one day! Holladay was my favorite to live in and I miss it often!

MommaMcCarthy said...

save your purging!! we're going to have a huge yardsale to raise funds for our 10-year reunion :)