Friday, March 11, 2011

Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I'm uber sick. I experienced normal cold/sinus symptoms off and on for weeks and finally last week I dragged my booty to the doctors office. When I told him I had been having these symptoms since just after Christmas he couldn't believe I had waited so long to come in! I know shame on me... I just kept thinking I would get better.  I was diagnosed with a chronic sinus infection and started a 30 day round of antibiotics and a steroid inhaler to help the inflammation in my lungs as well as Mucinex D to drain my sinuses. I was optimistic when I started taking the amoxicillin (which I hate bytheway, it kinda makes me feel weird) But I just want to get better so at this point I will try anything. I was instructed to take all three: the amox and mucinex and inhaler twice a day. I did as instructed and felt super loopy the first few days from the combination of medicines. The amox also makes me kinda drowsy so I was super tired but when I would lie down to go to sleep I was too restless to sleep. UGH. I tossed and turned all night and hardly slept at all. I got up the next morning exhausted only to do it all over. This happened 3 days/nights in a row before I realized the Mucinex was making me super restless and giving me some anxiety.  At this point I had slept maybe 8-12 hours in 3 nights combined. I was basically a zombie and I have no clue how I functioned. (not even with caffeine- remember I gave it up!) I stopped taking my second dose of Mucinex every day and have been sleeping again ever since (not 100% restful sleep yet, but at this point I'll take what I can get.) Anyway, by Monday/Tuesday of this week I was still not feeling much better and if I dare say it probably a bit worse. I started to justify it thinking maybe I have to get worse before I'll get better and then talked myself out of that way of thinking. The big wake up call was when my lungs would burn when I would take a deep breathe. It was kind of a gradual thing, it hurt to breathe outside but then it progressed and even taking a deep breath was very painful.  I felt like I couldn't catch my breath and knew something was wrong! After another night of tossing and turning I got up early so that I could get to the doctor before I had to leave for work.  I am so grateful that I ended up seeing one of the nicest doctors I've ever met at the Urgent Care. He'd never met me, he was patient and kind and listened. He decided to do a chest xray and I'm glad and that he didn't have to send me to the hospital to get that done! I'm also glad I have good health insurance. I left the office with 2 new scripts of medicine to take in addition to what I'm already taking. I started with a sinus infection and now have bronchitis and Atypical pneumonia (whatever that means) I just know that I can't breathe!!!!!!!!! The good news is now that we know what it is I can start being treated for my symptoms and hopefully start feeling better. The bad news is this all hit the fan in the middle of my work week and I couldn't get rid of any of my shifts since it is the start of Spring Break and they are offering overtime at work- anticipating a very busy weekend. Fabulous. I can barely breathe and I can expect we will be in queue all day for the next 3 days. Those things are out of my control though so I'm trying not to focus on that and focusing only on getting better.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I have been there! Went through almost the exact same thing (only with different prescriptions) between Thanksgiving and the middle of January. Hope you get feeling better soon! Also, I believe atypical pneumonia is walking pneumonia, which I also had. not fun. feel better girl!