I know my blog is so random.. sorry about that! I've thought of starting a second blog specifically for recipes or crafting ideas...but I just don't blog enough to keep up with a second one. SO...all the randomness is going to end up in the same place. I feel like I have so much to blog about and so little time. Maybe one day I'll get completely caught up. For now this is what's been on my mind- recipes. I'm trying to get out of my recipe rut.
One of the recipes at the top of my list was Stuffed Peppers. I've been wanting to try stuffed peppers for a while so on my last trip to the grocery store I made sure I had all the ingredients. I kept putting it off for about the last week just due to time etc. I always go for something quick or something easy that I already know how to make by heart rather than try a new recipe. I'm trying really hard to kick that habit so I decided today to just do it. I googled a recipe and couldn't find one that I fell in love with so I kind of combined a couple recipes.. I didn't follow any of them by the book I just used it as a guide. I think what I came up with turned out AWESOME!
I can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)
For the filling I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, seasoned with salt and pepper and a little bit of garlic salt and some italian seasoning. Then I sauteed a couple tablespoons of red onion and some mushrooms as well. I used long grain rice which I cooked separately and added to the mixture at the last minute. I also used 1 can of tomato soup and 1 can of diced tomatoes.) I only added 3/4 of each to the mixture so that I could use the remaining to spoon across the top) YUMMY!
One of the recipes I found recommended blanching the peppers first, so I boiled them for about 5 minutes and then finished them off in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. I didn't want the pepper to break down and get mushy so I reduced the time from the recommended 45 minutes. (After all the filling was fully cooked anyway!) I think next time I might add a little bit of cheese. I think it will taste amazing with some shredded mozzarella on there. OOOOHHHH!
Now since I was on a roll I decided to make some concotion for dessert too! We had a few bananas that were nearing their expiration date.. the peels had already turned brown and they were a little too mushy for my taste so I stuck a few pats of butter in a pan with a few tablespoons of brown sugar and sauteed the bananas a little just until they were coated with the caramel-y mixture and warmed through and I spooned that over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. D.E.V.I.N.E.
To me it tasted just like Bananas Foster. I will definitely be making this treat again! Israel was skeptical at first but after he tasted mine he liked it! In case you didn't know, my husband is really picky.
He doesn't like onions, doesn't enjoy veggies although he will choke them down.. and he has a thing for a simple cheeseburger and fries. Oh geez. It's no wonder I end up in a recipe rut eh?
PS> if your hanging on to any simple yummy recipes, please send them my way :)
2 comments:
Chef Mal! Look at you go, just whippin things up! I know this little blog called ambersnook.blogspot.com, maybe you could look at it one day! She has some great recipes and links to other food blogs! :)
I read your blog regularly! You haven't posted in a while... I've tried many of your recipes and there are many more on the list to try still! Thanks for sharing your talent and love for cooking Amber!
Post a Comment