The weather here has been blah for days. (blah is a technical term don'tyaknow!) Even blah doesn't thoroughly describe the haze, the smog, the yuck that has been hanging over the Salt Lake Valley for who knows how long. It's so gross. Too many gray days... Doom and gloom. LOL
Today was the first day that I actually felt some sunshine and had a glimpse of a blue sky!
It's amazing what a little bit of blue sky can do to boost your mood.
I decided to make some Tortilla Soup to share with my co-workers today. Something to warm us up from the inside out :) Everyone agreed that it was much needed. It's been a long week (bad weather makes our job difficult!) Anyway, I wanted to share the recipe because I think it's a great way to spice things up!
Tortilla Soup
This recipe is enough to fill my crockpot...
1 box low sodium chicken broth (I use Swansons)
2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans whole kernal corn (I use the liquid too!)
3 or 4 cans of Ro*tel tomatoes and green chilis (I usually use one large can of original- I think it was 24 oz but I can't remember... and 1 regular 15 oz. can of HOT)
2-3 cooked chicken breasts
1/3 bunch of cilantro
Sour cream
Cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips
Cook your chicken ahead of time to make it super quick and easy to make this soup.
Sometimes I bake the chicken, sometimes I boil it, I've even cheated and used rotisserie chicken.
When I'm super motivated I'll make my own chicken stock and use that for the base of the soup, either way is fine though trust me.
Add chicken stock, corn, black beans and tomatoes and chilis to crock pot.
Dice or shred the chicken and throw it in.
It's ideal to let the flavors marry for a bit but it still tastes good if you just heat it up and eat it right away. (it's even better the next day.)
Toss in the cilantro at the last minute
Add your favorite toppings, a dollop of sour cream and cheddar cheese, sliced avocado. YUM
I like to crush my tortilla chips or you could use them for dipping.
Now go make some right now!
You'll thank me..
5 comments:
I am making Taco Soup this week as well! So good! And are you needing alphabet art Mal??!!
OMG that sounds so yummy! I am totally going to make this for my family :)
Thanks Jo, let me know how you like it.
@ Amber- I may need some ABC art someday!
yum. i love chicken tortilla soup-!
yay-! i can comment on your blog.. i may have to try this one day-! i need more recipes for my crockpot. ok thanks. =)
I'm making it now, Mallory! I'll let you know how it turned out on Wednesday at work!
Post a Comment